Sunday 5 August 2018

Church and beach

Yesterday I rested up because I've damaged some tendons in my feet walking so much on pavement with a heavy rucksack and large lenses. Last night I hobbled into Sydney to meet Becky and the girls coming back from Cairns. The bus and the city were full of revellers as it was a Saturday night.  It was great to see everyone again and they talked animatedly on the bus back to Dee Why about their stay in Cairns. The fast Bline buses seem to run very frequently even late at night. We were all shattered as it was pretty late when we got back. Today I managed to get to the church I visited last time I was in Sydney. The house was quiet when I left except for the younger children who were playing games on screens. The church have led the protests in Australia against the inhumane treatment of refugees. Their liturgies about the aboriginal heritage, their choice of hymns, some which are completely strange to me and the thought provoking sermon and service are spiritual food for me. I met people I met 3 years ago and we had conversations about the treatment of asylum seekers. Some of the English people were also interested in what was happening about Brexit. It would appear that UK politics are even more unstable than Australian politics! They were having a meal to celebrate older people and I enjoyed some coffee and delicious quiche. I felt very at home.

http://www.pittstreetuniting.org.au

The views even from the fast bus are amazing. 



When I got back most people were up as it was lunchtime. They were mostly playing games. 
We eventually mustered everyone to go down to the nearest beach for some fresh air and an ice cream 














No comments:

Post a Comment